In collaboration with the parishioners at Sibson the Parish Council recently instructed Drainage Surveying experts Onsite Central Ltd to carry out a survey of the drainage throughout the village of Sibson. THe purpose of the survey was to establish the condition and size of the pipework to ascertain if this was contributing to the flooding the village experiences.

The findings can be found in the attached report which the Parish Council has put together based on the findings from the survey.

Sheepy Parish Council Summary of CCTV Survey Sibson_final_updated010823

The Parish Council would like to thank the Parishioners at Sibson who helped organise access for the survey and assisted the survey team throughout the day.

The Parish currently has two flood wardens, Community Flood Wardens are an important part of the local community, but can also play a key role in assisting the Environment Agency, water authority, local and county councils with local information on flood conditions. For example; before or during a potential flooding event the Community Flood Wardens may be contacted to give an account of ground conditions, water levels, weather, etc, to help the Emergency Planning team and Environment Agency activate relevant plans and to coordinate an appropriate response across the county. If you are interested in becoming a flood warden or would like more information please email has more information regarding flooding in Leicestershire.

The Environment Agency provides a flood warning service for most main rivers, estuaries and along the coast. It cannot provide a service for all watercourses. Rivers and streams that rise rapidly in response to rainfall cause particular difficulties because there is insufficient time to issue specific warnings. In some localities a general warning service is provided; in others it is not possible to provide a warning service at all. The Environment Agency does not provide a warning service in respect of local flooding from sewers, road drainage, overland flow, dam bursts or blockages.

More information about the Environment Agency flood warning service can be found here: Using the latest available technology, our staff monitors rainfall, river levels and sea conditions 24 hours a day and use this information to forecast the possibility of flooding. If flooding is forecast, we issue warnings using a set of three different warning types, shown to the right.

Floodline Warnings Direct (FWD) is a free service which sends you a direct message when flooding is expected and may affect your property. Flood warnings will give you time to prepare for flooding which could save you time, money and heartache. You can receive warnings by telephone, mobile, email, SMS text message or fax, whichever you prefer.

You can sign up for Floodline Warnings Direct by calling Floodline on 0345 988 1188 or 0845 988 1188 or online at

Blocked pipes can stop used water draining away, which can be unpleasant to deal with and something you’ll want to get sorted quickly.

We can help clear blockages in our public sewer network.

However, sometimes blockages occur on your own private sewer pipes or drains, so you may have to hire a plumber to unblock it.

Signs you have a blockage

If you think you might have a blocked pipe or drain, there are some key signs to look out for.

If you have a blockage, you’ll notice:

  • Your toilet taking more time to flush than normal
  • Bad smells coming from your drains
  • Water draining away or emptying slowly from the sink or bath
  • Waste or sewage coming back up in the toilet or sink

The causes of blocked pipes and drains

There are a few different reasons why blockages occur, but they’re most often caused by items such as wet wipes and sanitary products that are flushed down the toilet, or by leftover cooking fats and oils poured down the kitchen sink.

These items stick together and over time they build up and block pipes and drains.

Our drains and sewers are only designed to carry human waste, wastewater and loo roll from your toilets and the used water from your sinks, baths and showers.

You should put anything else, including wet wipes or sanitary products, in the bin.

Responsibility for clearing blockages

The responsibility for sewer pipes is split between us – the water company – and the homeowner.

If there’s a blockage in our sewers or pipework, we’ll clear it. If the blockage is in pipework in your property, you will be responsible for clearing and repairing it.

Knowing if the blockage is in your sewer pipes or ours

There a couple of quick ways you can find out if the blockage is in your private pipework or not.

Check if your neighbours also have drainage problems

If your neighbours are having similar problems, that will likely indicate that the blockage is in our sewers or pipes.

If your neighbours don’t have similar issues, it’s more likely that the blockage is in the pipes on your property.

Check if multiple rooms are affected

If you have more than one bathroom, check to see if there’s a difference between whether one toilet flushes better than the other, or if one sink drains more slowly.

If there’s a difference in flush or flow, it might indicate the blockage is in the pipes on your property internally.

Report public sewer blockages to us

If there’s a blockage in our public sewer network that’s affecting your property and possibly your neighbours, report the problem to us so we can get it fixed as soon as possible.

You can report a blockage by messaging us on WhatsApp or SMS, or you can call us on 0800 783 4444. We’re here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

It’s important to understand who’s responsible for maintaining and repairing sewer pipes and drains, especially if something goes wrong.

Clearing blockages on your sewer pipes

A blocked drain, toilet or a clogged sink can be a hassle to sort and cause some unpleasant problems, so it’s important you get it cleared as soon as possible.

Hire a plumber

You can hire a plumber to investigate and clear the blockage.

Ask us to help

You can ask us to investigate a blockage.

If we find that the blockage is in your private pipework, our engineers will discuss this with you as we may be able to clear it for £114

You’re under no obligation to use our service and can contact an independent drainage company to clear the blockage if you’d prefer.

If you’d like us to clear a blockage in your private pipework for you, you’ll need to be at the property when we visit so you can make a card payment before we start work.

How to avoid blockages happening in the future

There are steps you can take to help avoid blockages caused by kitchen and bathroom waste.

The 3 P’s

Only flush pee, poo and (toilet) paper down the loo.

Bin it

Put wet wipes, nappies, tampons, sanitary towels, condoms and cotton buds in the bin.

Bag it, bin it

Make sure you wrap sanitary items such as tampons in toilet paper or put them in a small bag before binning them.

Trap the fat

Leave leftover cooking oil, fat and food to cool and put it in the bin or check to see if your local council offers an oil recycling service.

Never get rid of paint or medicine by pouring them down the drain or flushing them down the loo.

Items like paint or medicine should always be disposed of safely using a hazardous waste disposal service. You can find a hazardous waste disposal service through your local council.